Mayor Davis shares progress toward goals
Recently, I was fortunate enough to attend the State of the City luncheon where Edmond Mayor Darrell Davis shared the City Council’s strategic plan goals.
He shared the following goals with a target of less than two years:
- Support Capital Improvement Projects
- Make Downtown Edmond a destination
- Monitor and improve mobility
- Improve Brand identification, place marking, and tourism way finding
- Focus on tree and open space preservation
- Edmond Veterans Memorial
- Water Resources Recovery Facility
- Water Treatment Plant expansion plan
- East Edmond 2050 Plan
- Arcadia Lake Visioning
- Modernizing lodging tax
- Collect trash from Arcadia Lake
- Beautification project for I-35
- Diversity and inclusion initiates with the Edmond Chamber
- Water & Electric Smart Meter implementation
- Identify leadership to reinstate the Edmond Land Conservancy
The following were goals with a timeframe of greater than two years:
- Become a preferred destination / Performing Arts Center
- Economic development of I-35 corridor
- Livable community with access to recreation and transportation:
- Commuter rail project
- Bike and multi-use trails
- Recreational sports facilities
- Acquire public open space for parks
- Covell Parkway development
- New City Administration building
- Encourage low impact development
Naturally, not all of the goals may come to pass, especially the longer-term goals. But the City of Edmond and Mayor Davis himself has been working toward many of the goals. I’ve personally attended some of the Diversity & Inclusion sessions the Edmond Chamber has put on and am excited to see the headway being made toward many of the goals.
The City of Edmond gets its revenue almost entirely from sales tax. That means that without businesses in Edmond, none of these projects would be possible. While some of them are funded in part by other sources like federal money, businesses and business people make the city run.
Subscribe to Email Updates
SubscribeGet Edmond Business news in your inbox.
About Tim Priebe
Tim is a public speaker, author, publisher of Edmond Business, and the owner of T&S Online Marketing. He helps businesses that are worried they don’t have the expertise or time required to invest in doing their own digital marketing. He helps them plan where and how much to invest and often helps execute the plan.
Tim started the Edmond Business online magazine in May 2020 to fill a need in the community when The Edmond Sun shut down and stopped publishing their monthly magazine, The Business Times.